Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You Used to Have Balls

Am I the only one that still thinks of this when someone says the word Nerf?

Seriously, as a dorky, awkward, uncoordinated kid (not much has changed) - I loved nerf balls.  Not only could you kind of play sports without getting hurt or breaking something.  Plus they just had that awesome squishy texture and that special 'nerf' smell.

Nerf used to be one of the ultimate kid-friendly companies...and now it is basically a weapon company (squishy weapons but still).  It seems like a whole lost innocence thing to me - similar when Williams/Bally decided to stop making pinball machines so that they could focus on slot machines.

Don't get me wrong, the nerf dart guns are pretty cool and I am glad that Nerf/Hasbro made a lot of money off them...but they just don't give me the same feeling of youthful playtime that the nerf footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs give to me (originally that just said 'youthful play that nerf balls gives me' but figured that could be taken as perverted).  I know that Nerf still makes balls and stuff but you never see advertising for them and I am sure it is not the first thing kids think of when they hear 'nerf'.  They are thinking blasters and darts and crossbows.

Even the logo seemed more innocent.  It just looks soft and squishy like nerf balls...now I guess it does bring to mind the nerf darts...but I don't care for it.


Nerf, I miss it when you really had balls...now you kind of seem like you are a middle-aged guy going through a crisis, bigger and better guns will make you manly and no longer the laughing stock at the playground.


No comments: