Thursday, July 15, 2021

Concert Chronicles - Heart (w The Black Crowes) 1990-09-01 Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been a fan of The Black Crowes since their first album Shake Your Money Maker was released.  Such a great album - Jealous Again, Twice as Hard, She Talks to Angels, etc, etc...almost every song on that album is a great listen.  At the time, their southern tinted rock and blues really stood out on radio.  Not to mention that the Robinson brothers looked cool as shit in their crushed velvet suits.  I didn't care too much for Heart.  I enjoyed their 70s stuff like Barracuda and Crazy on You.  Nancy totally shredded back then.  But their current album and All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You was just boring pop for me.

As a poor high school student, I could not justify the price of tickets plus the 130-mile drive. This show was a no-go...especially since The Black Crowes were just openers.  Luckily, I was able to win tickets from the local radio station (thanks again KDWZ)...and the station was even chartering a bus for the winners!

My friend Steve tucked the ticket envelope in the car's visor for safekeeping as I pulled out of the driveway headed to the radio station to meet the bus.  About a block away from home, we realized that the gas tank was basically on E and we decided to switch cars to save time from stopping at a gas station.  We were soon boarding the bus with the other winners.  As the bus was ready to leave, the local DJ/station chaperone for the trip made an announcement like "Everybody, make sure you have your tickets."  I give Steve a look like "What kind of idiot forget their tickets?", right before realizing that we had left ours tucked into the visor of the OTHER car.  Fuck!  We felt more than a little stupid.  It was not a problem though, the DJ had plenty of extra tickets (we weren't the only ones that forgot our tickets).



At the show, we grabbed some seats in the lower mezzanine and watched The Black Crowes.  I was still a little tentative about mingling in the large mass of people on the main floor.  Plus I am short and I wanted to SEE The Black Crowes.  This was a pretty big tour for the Crowes.  At the time, Twice as Hard and Jealous Again had been released to moderate success; but Hard to Handle (which propelled them to a much larger fame and audience) had not been released to radio & MTV yet. Actually, I *THINK* Hard to Handle dropped as a single the day of the concert.

The Black Crowes put on a short but packed set.  Rich looked cool in crushed velvet and Chris in his ruffle shirt.  It was pure and classic Black Crowes.  I wish I could ever be that cool.  Most of the crowd didn't seem that into it.  I think was a lack of familiarity, and I am sure they were bragging to their friends a few months later when Hard to Handle was everywhere.

During the intermission and Heart, I decided to brave the mass of people that made up the main floor of general admittance.  Being of smaller stature, I had a difficult time seeing the stage and not getting trampled by other people but was beginning to get the rhythm and feel for how the crowd moved.  After nearly losing a shoe during Barracuda, I created "Michael's Concert Rule #1" in my head - always make sure to tie your shoes tightly (and in double knots if possible).  About 3/4 of the way through Heart's set, I picked up a "fan."  An older (maybe mid-30s), obviously gay man would not leave me alone in the crowd.  He kept trying to talk to me (I'm listening to the fucking song!), following me around, and get me to dance with him.  Normally I have no issues with gay people, but this guy's persistence was making me very uncomfortable.  Steve and I left the show and hung outside the venue for the last 30 minutes or so.  We could at least still hear the music as we watched cars drive down the main strip in Cedar Rapids.  It was nice to get out of the hot arena and hang out in the slightly chilled air.

After the show, all the winners made their way back to the bus for the 2-hour ride home.  The interior of the bus was dark and everyone was starting to nod off when all of a sudden a voice from the back goes "Those aren't pillows!" and everyone cracks up.  It was hilarious.  The comedian in the back proved to be a one-trick pony as he proceeded to repeat this joke about 10 more times.





No comments: