Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Vasectomy Madness...Really?

The past few weeks, as I get home from work and flip on the local news while I cook dinner, I have been hearing a commercial about getting a vasectomy so that you can stay home and watch March Madness basketball.  The first couple times I heard this in the background, I thought "Wha-wha-what?  No, I must have misheard.  Ha ha, who would really get a vasectomy to watch basketball."

But I kept hearing this commercial day after day.  I no longer thought I was hearing it wrong, but thought that maybe since I was only listening to it (while I was in the kitchen and the TV was in the living room) that maybe I was missing some connotation or joke.  After about a week, I finally took the time to stop what I was doing, walk to the living room and rewind and watch the commercial.  Nope, I wasn't missing anything...it was a commercial advocating getting a vasectomy so that you can stay home and sit on the couch to watch March Madness Basketball.  I find this incredibly strange.

I haven't been able to find the actual commercial I saw, but here is a clinic in Virginia that did a similar promotion last year.



And here is a news story about a Wisconsin clinic running a similar promotion.



I don't know, it is all just a strange ad campaign.  Does this work better than - get a vasectomy so you don't have to wear a condom and don't have to worry about more kids?  I guess, if you are thinking of having a  vasectomy anyways, you probably want to schedule it around a time when you want to stay home...but it sounds strange when put into a commercial.

Come on down and let us cut into your furry beanbag so that you can watch some hoops!

No comments: