Friday, November 20, 2009

Hate Update (Retraction Actually)

I am rarely wrong.1 So as I stand here2 and announce that I was wrong, please know that it is a big deal.3

I would like to make it known that I re-read The Catcher in the Rye a couple months ago. After giving some time to digest and mull over, I have decided that it is not nearly as bad as I thought. It has gone from "What a god awful piece of shit" to "It's OK, I can see how some people would like it." That is an improvement of vast proportions in my mind. A book has rarely made that type of leap before.

I still think it is way over-hyped. I still think Holden is boorish (CT actually gave me that description when I was re-reading it and it was perfect). However, I will no longer think people who love this book are idiots. I can see some of the charm and see why some people connect with it so well. I might even recommend it to someone in the future (although with a caveat "don't believe the hype")

Good job J.D. Salinger. I was wrong.

1as long as you don't count my love life, personal life, and work life
2I'm actually sitting - typing while standing is weird
3not a big deal at all

No comments: