Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Like trying to take a photo of Big Foot (the creature, not the monster truck)

While at Rib America Fest (I'm not linking to it again because I am sick of it), I saw a sight that boggled my mind. Every once in a while, you run into something unexpected and against all of your stereotypes and perceptions and thoughts of how the world works that you are completely stunned. I fumbled for my camera, trying to get a picture before this majestic creature strode out of sight into the urban jungle...but to no avail, she was too fast. I felt like I was trying to take a photo of Big Foot (the creature, not the monster truck). I was so excited and knew no one would believe me...plus I doubt I'll ever see it again.

So lean in close to the campfire kiddies and let me describe this wonderful sight. First of all, it was a black lady (oh my lucky stars) in a cowboy hat. Now, I know there were black cowboys (right Mario Van Peebles?), but it is pretty rare for me to see a cowboy hat on anyone besides an old white guy. Heck, I can't remember the last time I even saw someone wearing a cowboy hat in person. Anyhow, the cowboy hat caught my eye, but her shirt was what broke my brain for a second. She was wearing a t-shirt with a big Irish flag and said "Free Northern Ireland." It was funny (to me). My mind was thinking "How many things are wrong with this sight?" It gave me a good laugh.

Free Northern Ireland! Oh wait, didn't they already do that? I thought they signed the Belfast Agreement 10 years ago. I may not be up on all my world history though. That just made it funnier!

OK, it might have been one of those things where you had to be there.


2 comments:

Cameron Ted said...

The way you describe it, it is like Al Gore describing manbearpig.

You should ALWAYS have your camera on the ready.

Dixon said...

Fear not.....the State Fair is just around the corner. Don't let the Rib Fest one that got away keep you from the grand spectacle that is people watching at the State Fair. My favorite viewind spots: Just outside the WHO "Crystal Studio", because of all the free shit, and the northeast side of the Varied Industries Building, for the very same reason.

Don't forget your camera this time, though.